It is with great sadness I share with you the news that Dr. Alex Moore has died following complications from surgery. Alex was a 2004 graduate of the EXSS Master’s program specializing in Exercise Physiology. I was fortunate enough to work with Alex during his time at UNC. He made a lasting impression on me with a strong work ethic, his wonderful sense of humor and a smile that was infectious. Alex was an excellent competitive runner and cyclist and his thesis work revolved around how to optimize training for athletes in these sports, and he and I had long discussions about such topics and many hours in the laboratory trying to devise research approaches to his quest. Alex was also a strong person of faith, and our talks of science also lead to many discussions of religion and each of our own personal beliefs.

After Alex left UNC he pursued a doctorate at the University of Missouri where he excelled and was considered one of their shining stars as a student and researcher. After graduating Alex went on to become an Assistant Professor of Kinesiology at Westmont College.  He is survived by his wife Kirsten and his future child (due in July). The Carolina EXSS family and our disciple of Exercise Science has lost a great person who I was glad to call a friend, he will be greatly missed.

Tony Hackney