EXSS will begin accepting applications via The Graduate School (https://gradschool.unc.edu/admissions/) mid-October. The application deadline for consideration of all EXSS specializations for the upcoming Fall semester is Tuesday, January 9th, 2024. We do not accept applications for Spring semester. Please note that GRE scores are no longer required in order to apply.
- For more instructions, go to https://gradschool.unc.edu/admissions/instructions.html
Apply to an Exercise and Sport Science Specialization
At your specialization’s application page follow the directions, fill out the form and upload your required documentation.
GENERAL EXSS PREREQUISITE FOR ALL SPECIALIZATIONS
Prior to enrollment EXSS graduate students must have completed an undergraduate statistics or research and statistics design course (3 hour credit or greater) with a final course grade of B-minus or better. After an applicant is offered and accepts admission into the EXSS graduate program, his/her transcript will be reviewed by the Director of Graduate Admissions to determine if this prerequisite has been satisfied. You may be contacted and required to provide additional information about this course, e.g., a course description and/or syllabus. Failure to satisfy this prerequisite prior to enrollment may result in a withdrawal of the offer of admission. Anyone seeking to meet this prerequisite by taking a course in the summer immediately prior to the semester of matriculation should seek prior approval of the course from the EXSS Director of Graduate Admissions.
PREREQUISITES SPECIFIC TO EXSS AREA OF SPECIALIZATION
Each area of specialization (Athletic Training, Exercise Physiology, Sport Administration) has additional prerequisites, qualifications, certifications, etc. See the information specific to each area of specialization at:
- Athletic Training Prerequisites-AT
- Exercise Physiology Prerequisites
- Sport Administration Prerequisites-SA
TIMELINE FOR APPLICATION – ADMISSION PROCESS
- This timeline is an approximation and will vary somewhat between areas of specialization.
- Initial review of completed applications may begin in late fall semester, therefore early completion-submission of applications is recommended. The Graduate School will refuse any application not complete by the deadline date.
- Initial reviews of applications will be completed by the middle-end of January.
- Offers of on-campus interviews will be extended from mid-January through first week of February.
- On-campus interviews will be conducted from late January through February.
- Offers of admission may occur as early as February for some, but for all by early March.
NOTE: The MA Program in EXSS makes recommendations for admissions to The Graduate School. The Graduate School makes the final decision on all admission decisions, and the offer of admission will come from The Graduate School – not the Department of EXSS.