Sports Medicine Minor
The Department of Exercise and Sport Science will begin offering the Sports Medicine Minor degree in Fall 2022.
Sports Medicine is an interdisciplinary area of study which deals with the treatment and preventive care of injuries and illnesses in those who participate in sport, exercise, or physical activity. Members of the sports medicine “team” include physicians, athletic trainers, physical therapists, nutritionists, mental health professionals, strength & conditioning coaches, sport scientists, and other personnel.
The Sports Medicine Minor provides undergraduate students the opportunity to obtain the fundamental knowledge and exposure to pursue careers and post-graduate studies in health care fields of sports medicine.
The Sports Medicine Minor is open to all students, including EXSS majors, and takes 4 traditional semesters to complete.
Sports Medicine Minor Requirements:
Required Courses (14-15 credit hours):
- EXSS 155 (3 cr.) – Human Anatomy and Physiology I *
- EXSS 256 (3 cr.) – Human Anatomy and Physiology II*
- EXSS 265 – Fundamentals of Sports Medicine (3 cr)
- EXSS 366 – Foundations of Sports Medicine Rehabilitation (3 cr)
- EXSS 393 – Athletic Training (Sports Medicine) Clinical (1-2 cr)
- This course is by permission of instructor and requires a prerequisite of 10 hours of observation in Stallings Evans Sports Medicine Center before registration is permitted. Please contact Nina Walker to start those hours.
* Note: Prior to Fall 2023, these classes were listed as EXSS 175 Human Anatomy and EXSS 276 Human Physiology
One of the following Elective Courses (1-3 credit hours):
- EXSS 275L – Human Anatomy Lab (1 cr)
- EXSS 288 – Emergency Care of Athletic Injuries and Illnesses (3 cr)
- EXSS 360 – Sport Nutrition (3 cr)
Total Credit Hours: 15-18
In addition to the program requirements listed above, students must:
- Earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 in the minor requirements.
- Students who want to complete the minor need to follow the sequence of EXSS 155, 256, 265, 366.
- Students can take EXSS 393 after 265.
- Students can take the elective class after EXSS 155.
- It takes 4 traditional semesters to complete the Sports Medicine Minor
For questions please contact Meredith Petschauer email@example.com