REQUIRED EXSS Fitness Professional Courses
(MUST EARN A “C” OR BETTER IN EACH OF THE FOUR CORE CLASSES)
- EXSS 175 Human Anatomy
- EXSS 220 Fitness Management
- EXSS 273 Research in Exercise and Sport Science
- EXSS 276 Human Physiology
- EXSS 288 Emergency Care of Injuries and Illness
- EXSS 360 Sports Nutrition
- EXSS 376 Physiological Basis of Human Performance
- EXSS 385 Biomechanics of Sport
- EXSS 408 Theory and Application of Strength Training or EXSS 478 Sports Performance Training
- EXSS 410 Exercise Testing and Prescription
- EXSS 593 Practicum in Physical Fitness and Wellness
- Due to the building nature of coursework, this major takes 5 semesters to complete (EXSS 175, 276, 376, 410, 593)
- At least 6 courses (18 hours) must be completed with a grade of “C” or better.
- NO EXSS course may be taken Pass/D/Fail by an EXSS major.
- A maximum of 45 hours in EXSS courses may be applied toward the B.A. degree.
- EXSS requires BIO 101/101L as a Physical and Life Science course with a lab; EXSS-FP also requires Chem 101/101L.
- Math 110 (prerequisite for EXSS 273, 376, 385)
**For more information on specific courses, refer to the UNC Undergraduate Bulletin