2023 EXSS Department Graduation Ceremony Information
Friday, May 12th @ 5:00 – 6:30 p.m.
*doors open at 4:00p/tickets not required*
Dean E. Smith Center
Please note, if you do not successfully complete all your degree requirements in time for a May graduation date, you are still permitted to participate in EXSS’ departmental ceremony.
Student basic/keepsake blue/black regalia will be available to purchase through the Student Stores online starting late March through mid-April, in-store late March through commencement weekend, and at the conGRADulations Fair in late March.
These regalia are meant to be a cost-effective and eco-friendly option for graduating students, with packages ranging from $59.99 to $124.99. The online/shipping option for this regalia takes approximately two weeks to be delivered. The in-store option is available immediately at time of purchase.
At the end of June, diplomas will be mailed to the student’s home address as it is listed in ConnectCarolina. Graduates who need immediate proof of graduation may download a certified electronic diploma (for a fee). Your diploma will be printed with the diploma name as listed on your ConnectCarolina account. Graduates requiring special handling (summer pick-up, FedEx, international delivery) for their diploma must contact the Office of the University Registrar.
Professional photographers from Photo Specialties™ will be at the ceremony to photograph each student as they are receiving their mock diploma onstage and at the backdrop at the bottom of the stairs as you are exiting the stage. Free proofs will be sent to you via your email address on file. There are no fees for reviewing the proofs and there is no obligation to purchase photographs. Please check your junk/spam folders in case the email is inadvertently sent there.
Guests should arrive between 4:00 and 5:00 pm. and enter the Smith Center at Entrance A. All guests are welcome to attend the ceremony. No tickets are necessary and there is no restriction on the number of guests invited per each graduate.
Please do not bring gifts into the Smith Center. No refreshments will be available at the ceremony. Please bring water and stay hydrated.
Dean E. Smith Center Entry Policy
All guests and their belongings are subject to screening by entry personnel.
The following items will not be permitted in the Smith Center:
- Backpacks, duffel bags, oversized purses, or computer cases
- Alcohol, bottles, cans, food, thermoses, coolers, drugs, chains, and fireworks
- Weapons, noisemakers, laser pointers and other items deemed inappropriate by Smith Center personnel
- Signs larger than 8.5 inches by 11 inches
Accessibility Seating and Parking
Accessible parking for guests is available in the Williamson Lot across the street from the Smith Center by presenting a disability permit/placard or license plate. The lot will be clearly marked with the appropriate signage. Golf carts will pick up guests needing assistance from the lot and drop them at Gate A.
Accessible seating is located all along the concourse level in the Smith Center. No ticket is required for seating.
Parking for guests will be available in most lots surrounding the Smith Center. They include: the Manning Lot (on Bowles Drive between the Smith Center and Family Practice), the Bowles Lot (on Bowles Drive behind Craige Residence Hall), and the Business School Deck.
*Please visit maps.unc.edu for an interactive map view
Friday, May 12 9:00a-12:00p: Pick up your name card from the lobby of Fetzer Hall. DO NOT LOSE THIS CARD.
* If you are unable to pick up your card from Fetzer Hall during the times indicated, you may pick it up at the Dean Smith Center prior to the ceremony.
Commencement programs will be available for guests. Please note that programs are limited in number, so we are asking large parties to be mindful of the number of programs you take.
*A program will be placed on each chair for the graduate (during ceremony), which means graduates don’t need to get one beforehand and will have one as a keepsake.
Graduate Name Cards
Graduates will need to stop by one of the CHECK-IN tables to get their name card (if they did not stop in at Fetzer Hall to pick it up prior).
- A-K name cards are located by section 123.
- L-Z name cards are located near section 130.
DO NOT LOSE THIS CARD! You will need YOUR card to walk across the stage. If you do not have your card, your name will not be displayed on the video boards. *A blank card will be displayed for you if you do not have your card, however the reader will still state your name as you walk across the stage.
Graduates will need to be at section 100 on the concourse by 4:40 p.m. to form two even numbered processional lines. Please cooperate with the student marshal in achieving this. If you want to sit next to your friends, please have all your party together in the same line.
At the start of the ceremony, the two processional lines will be escorted by a junior marshal down the stairs to the floor area where you will be directed to enter a row of seats. You are to remain standing until you’ve been given the prompt to be seated. Please note that the first two/three rows of the RIGHT-SIDE set of chairs (when looking at the stage) are reserved for PhD/Master Program graduates. These students will need to be the first group of students in the processional line (right side line).
Earey Winner, Senior Honor Theses Winners, and Teaching Award student presenter- please be in the right side line so that you can be seated in the RIGHT-SIDE set of chairs (when looking at the stage) toward the front and on the aisle if possible (for being called to the stage purposes).
The ceremony will begin with a welcome address by the Chair and introduction of the EXSS Faculty.
- Acknowledging Graduate Student Research Awards: – Graduate will line up at the bottom of the RIGHT-SIDE stairs when prompted by Dr. Padua. After leaving the stage (BY THE LEFT-SIDE STAIRS), please stop at the backdrop for a photo before returning to your seat. NOTE: DON’T LEAVE YOUR CARD, TAKE IT WITH YOU AS YOUR CROSS THE STAGE, YOU WILL NEED IT WHEN AWARDING THE DEGREE PORTION OF THE CEREMONY.
- Acknowledging Patrick Earey Award Winner: Proceed to the stage by the RIGHT-SIDE stairs when prompted by Dr. Padua. After leaving the stage (BY LEFT-SIDE STAIRS), please stop at the backdrop for a photo before returning to your seat. NOTE: DON’T LEAVE YOUR CARD, TAKE IT WITH YOU AS YOUR CROSS THE STAGE, YOU WILL NEED IT WHEN AWARDING THE DEGREE PORTION OF THE CEREMONY.
- Awarding of Honor cords: Please make your way to the RIGHT-SIDE stairs once the Earey Award Winner has entered the stage. After leaving the stage (BY THE LEFT-SIDE STAIRS), please stop at the backdrop for a photo before returning to your seat. NOTE: DON’T LEAVE YOUR NAME CARD, TAKE IT WITH YOU AS YOUR CROSS THE STAGE, YOU WILL NEED IT WHEN AWARDING THE DEGREE PORTION OF THE CEREMONY.
- Excellence in Teaching Award: Presented by a member of the graduating class (go to the RIGHT-SIDE stairs once the last Honor cord recipient has gone up the stairs). YOU DO NOT NEED YOUR NAME CARD FOR THIS. Proceed on stage when directed by Dr. Padua and leave by way of LEFT-SIDE stairs.
- Awarding of Degrees: You will be entering the stage by way of the right-side stairs and leaving by way of the left-side stairs. Your name card will be scanned at the bottom of the stairs and given back to you. Once it’s your turn at the top of the stairs, leave your card with the announcer. You will receive a mock diploma and handshake from the Chair. Exiting the stage, please stop at the backdrop for a photo before returning to your seat.
PhD/Master Program: graduates are directed by a Junior Marshal to go to the right-side of the stage to form a line. You will be directed out of your seats by the outside aisle.
Undergraduate Program: graduates are escorted by a Junior Marshal from the middle aisle to the right-side of the stage to form a line. Look for a cue from the Marshal for your aisle’s turn to stand and walk.
Conclusion of the Ceremony
Please disperse in a timely manner; the building will be cleared for another event immediately following ours.
Lacey Singletary / email@example.com / 919-843-9630
The Department of Exercise and Sport Science wishes you the best in your future endeavors!